Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 9:00am - 5:00pm
All Major Credit Cards Accepted
- Reasonable Fees for Traffic Violations and Other Criminal Defense
Are You Facing Marijuana Possession Charges?
If you have been charged with possession of marijuana, it is important to seek legal advice as soon as possible. The state takes drug charges very seriously, and you may be facing serious penalties if found guilty.
At the law office of Trenton H. Chambers, I have over a decade of experience defending people facing drug charges. Contact my law office today to schedule a free consultation where we can discuss your drug arrest, charges and defense options.
Marijuana Possession Charges
In South Carolina, there are four specific marijuana possession charges. These classifications are based on the amount of marijuana involved. Penalties increase significantly for each charge:
- Simple possession
- Penalties for less than one ounce: Driver's license suspension for six or more months; up to 30 days in jail; between $100 and $200 in fines; additional criminal penalties.
- Possession of more than one ounce — Driver's license suspension for one year; up to six months in jail; no possibility for diversion programs.
- Possession with intent to distribute — Driver's license suspension for one year; up to five years in jail; up to $5,000 in fines.
- Drug trafficking — Driver's license suspension for one year; up to 10 years in jail; up to $10,000 in fines.
Penalties increase for second and subsequent convictions. For more information about these penalties, talk to an attorney.
Diversion Programs for Simple Possession Charges
Individuals charged with simple possession may be eligible to enroll in diversion programs as an alternative to prosecution. Conditional discharge is an option available for first-time offenders, similar to community service. Pretrial intervention is another option that may require counseling, community service and other options while maintaining employment. Talk to a lawyer to find out more about these options.
To discuss your options regarding marijuana possession charges, contact me, criminal defense lawyer Trenton Chambers.
Trenton H. Chambers
Arguing reasonable doubt at reasonable fees
5307 North Kings Highway
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
Phone: (843) 692-7953 Fax: (843) 692-2363